Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Start a Chain Reaction of Kindness

Today marks 12 years since a tragic event. Funnily enough, it seems to be slowly getting swallowed up by time. In fact, a lot of people, if asked what is special about this day, would respond something like this:

While I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, I think it's important we remember the events that happened in Columbine Colorado on April 20th, 1999. A horrific tragedy occurred, in which 12 students and one teacher were killed by two student gunmen {who then took their own lives}
I don't want to simply dwell on the tragedy of the event, because, it is after all 12 years in the past, but that doesn't mean we should forget either. From the tragedy, a wonderful organization was born: Rachel's Challenge.Rachel Scott was the first person killed in the Columbine tragedy and following her death, her father began speaking around the nation. I've had the honor of listening to a speaker from the organization, which was created by her parents in an effort to prevent tragedies like this from ever happening again, but also to remind people of the hurt than many suffer through in silence.
The message they spread is a simple one, but one we often forget. An act of kindness, no matter how small, has the possibility to enact great change. They urge you to remember that your actions start a chain reaction and we should all strive to make those actions positive.
I encourage you to check out the organization, read some of the stories, see the lives that have been changed for the better. They bring a journal filled with letters from people who have had their lives changed by simple acts of kindness; people who had reached the last straw and were contemplating ending it all. You never know when something as simple as a kind word or a smile can bring some light into a black hole of sadness. Rachel Scott lived her life with compassion and kindness and even though it was cut short, she is still reaching out and touching people's hearts. {mine included}

8 comments:

Missus Elle said...

I was thinking about this the other day...I was...10 when this happened so I didnt remember what day it was so thanks for the reminder. I remember the stories and everything and its definitely not something to be forgotten.

Rebekah said...

Today isn't a day I'll forget, but I was 10 years old when it happened. I haven't heard of Rachel's Challenge, but I'll have to check it out!

Erin said...

Know that this is on our mind here in CO! My work BFF went to school in that district and has been very sensitive about the anniversary today.

Anonymous said...

I cant believe it's been 12 year! Being a teacher in a school, I think about it on a daily basis. I try to always be nice to kids, especially ones who arent in my class, because sometimes the people at school are the only people who care about them.

Unknown said...

I was in my freshmen year of college when this happened and I remember being in shock. I can't believe it's been 12 years. The middle school I worked at before I got married did Rachel's Challenge the last year I was there. It was great for the school and really help create community.

Megan said...

That's a day that I have never forgotten especially since I live in Colorado. There is always a mention of this tragic event on the news around this time. I was in 5th grade when this happened and I just remember a lot of us being scared because you don't realize that something like this could happen until it hits pretty close to home. I have never heard of this organization though but I will definitely look into it.

Irish Italian Blessings said...

I can't believe that was 12 years ago! Thank you for posting this, I think it's important to remember those who lost their lives that day and I think Rachels challenge is amazing and the message is so simple but so many people don't get it. Great post!

L.A.C.E. said...

wow, 12 yrs. thanks for posting

Post a Comment

 
Content Copyright McDancing Through Life | Design Copyright Poppiness Designs