Pages

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Body Image Woes

I really try not to be a negative nancy. I am a firm believer that life is what you make it. Sure, there are many things out of our control {I think there are some epic examples of that in my life} but recently I have realized how low my body image has become. I have always been a little insecure. My boobs were too small. People thought I was too skinny {yes, you can get made fun of for being skinny too *gasp*}

Ever so slowly, since we moved back to the Midwest, my body has changed. And not in ways that I like. I can’t even blame being a mom because while that most definitely changed my body type, I also was far smaller than I am today. I can only blame my apathy. I don’t care enough to work out, to make the time and find a way to get fit. I just get depressed and self pitying, but I don’t do anything about it. I used to always be active, dancing, sports, etc kept me going all the time, but I haven’t made the time for me.

On top of my sedentary lifestyle, I have been eating like it’s my job, with no regard for what is healthy. I grew up in a house with minimal snacks, but now as an adult, I find it hard to back away from the snack foods at the store. I want it all.

While I know that I am far from “fat” {all I have to do is take one look at my pant size to remind me} I also am far from happy with my body. I may never be 100% happy again, but I owe it to myself and to my family to stop being lazy and start doing something about it. For one thing, I want to get healthy so I can stop being so darned tired all the time not to mention realizing that I am not immortal. As I get older, my awareness of mortality really grows and I want to be around to see my son grow up and one day hopefully have a family of his own. This marks a new day in my journey and I really hope to follow through. My goal is not at all scale related, but entirely based on building a healthier me.

Having said that, any advice for getting back into shape? I never struggled with it before, but I sure do now. I just want to shake this perma pregnant look I have and my upper butt/ lower back fat is driving me nuts. I have to take charge and make a change. Here goes nothing!

3 comments:

Mrs. Duh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. Duh said...

I hear you on this. Over the course of a couple years, I became more sedentary (a lot of it due to getting a desk job) and 20lbs. slowly crept on. I made the decision last year that I had to bust out of my rut, so I went to a Crossfit class. A few months later, I decided to start eating clean and gave up grains. The 20lbs. fell off and I'm now I'm the best shape of my life.

Now, you don't have to do anything as drastic as Crossfit and cutting out grains... but I found a workout that I liked and that challenged me. I spent a lot of years in my comfort zone, and that's how I gained weight. My best advice is to find something that you enjoy and that challenges you!

JG said...

I highly recommend you google GoKaleo. I've recently started reading her fitness blog (also lots of sciency dietary stuff) and it's targeted specifically toward women who want to get "back in the game" so to speak. I'm a fangirl :)

Post a Comment

 
Content Copyright McDancing Through Life | Design Copyright Poppiness Designs